CATA is Hiring an Organizer in New Jersey
CATA – The Farmworker Support Committee is seeking a part-time Community Organizer at 15-20 hours/week. The Community Organizer will primarily focus on health and safety education and workplace organizing with migrant farmworkers and community members throughout Southern New Jersey. The ideal candidate will speak excellent Spanish and English and have experience in organizing for social change. This position will work closely with CATA’s lead organizers and CATA members to advance CATA’s mission of working for better working and living conditions for all immigrants.
CATA is a migrant farmworker organization that is governed by and comprised of farmworkers who are actively engaged in the struggle for better working and living conditions. The mission of CATA is to educate workers about their rights and support them as they develop and exercise leadership skills in order to create a better life for themselves and their communities. Responsibilities: The Community Organizer will be primarily responsible for increasing CATA’s outreach to farmworkers and other immigrant workers throughout Southern New Jersey.
The goal of this position is to increase the number of workers receiving community education on health and safety in the workplace and the number of workers taking action in instances of unsafe work environments. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Participate in the development and implementation of a plan for community outreach and education around issues of workplace safety and health in the migrant community.
- Coordinate with other NJ organizers for regional and local leadership meetings, member activities, leadership training, etc.
- Facilitate worker meetings
- Educate yourself (with assistance from other CATA organizers) around issues pertinent to our community – labor laws, immigration etc.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and local community meetings.
- Maintain communication and develop relationships with local community leaders, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and human rights values
- Experience with CATA or other social justice organizations is not required, but a plus
- Competency of speech and writing in both English and Spanish
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, while also being able to work as part of a team.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a vehicle.
- Ability to work evenings and occasionally weekends
Location: Glassboro, NJ
Details: Part-time hourly position, nights and weekends required.
CATA is a human rights organization and is dedicated to policies to promote the hiring of people of color and women.
To apply, please send a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and a resume with two references by April 5, 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call 856-881-2507 for more information.