CATA is Hiring in PA
CATA, The Farmworkers’ Support Committee, seeks a part-time Community Organizer in Chester County, PA:
CATA – The Farmworkers’ Support Committee is seeking a part-time Community Organizer at 15-20 hours/week. The Community Organizer will primarily focus on base-building with immigrant workers throughout Chester County, PA and will also oversee two projects designed to evaluate conditions within the mushroom industry as well as build community awareness and ability to respond to immigration enforcement. The ideal candidate will speak excellent Spanish and English and have experience in organizing for social change.
This position will work closely with CATA’s lead organizer, the Kaolin Workers’ Union and CATA members to advance CATA’s mission of striving for better working and living conditions for all immigrants. CATA is a migrant worker organization that is governed by and comprised of migrant workers and their families who are actively engaged in the struggle for better working and living conditions. The mission of CATA is to educate workers about their rights and support them as they develop and exercise leadership skills in order to create a better life for themselves and their communities.
The Community Organizer will be primarily responsible for increasing CATA’s outreach to farmworkers and other immigrant workers throughout Chester County, PA. The goal of this position is to complete an evaluation of workplace conditions in the mushroom industry, identify and recruit new membership and leaders, and to build community awareness on how they can respond to immigration enforcement. Specific responsibilities will include:
• Participate in the development and implementation of a plan for community outreach and education around workplace conditions and immigration activity in the area.
• Coordinate with other CATA organizers for regional and local leadership meetings, member activities, leadership training, etc.
• Facilitate worker meetings
• Educate yourself (with assistance from other CATA organizers) around issues pertinent to our community – labor laws, immigration etc.
• Attend monthly staff meetings and local community meetings.
• Maintain communication and develop relationships with local community leaders, etc.
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and human rights values
• Experience with CATA or other social justice organizations is not required, but a plus
• Competency of speech and writing in both English and Spanish
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, while also being able to work as part of a team.
• Possess a valid driver’s license and a vehicle.
• Ability to work evenings and occasionally weekends
• Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office programs
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Details: Part-time hourly position, nights and weekends required. This position is currently funded for one year with plans to extend if funding is available.
CATA is a human rights organization and is dedicated to policies to promote the hiring of people of color and women.
To apply, please send before February 1, 2019, a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and a resume with two references to:
Call 856-881-2507 for more information.